"I love to see the results that both my son and I get from hard work"
Tell us a little about yourself.
- I work at Lawrence Equipment and I am married to my lovely wife Missy. I have two children – my son Caeden and my daughter Aida. I grew up in Waynesboro and in my free time I like to hunt and fish. In high school and beyond I have been active in sports and I served in the military.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- My overall goal is to be healthy and to set an example for our children. Our daughter Aida, who is 10, is a type 1 diabetic, so I want to be an example for her and I try to stress to both of my kids the importance of living an active and healthy lifestyle.
What are your favorite movements to do in a workout? What are your least favorite?
- FAVS: As Coach Jeremy says, I like to “lift heavy $I&@!”
- NOT FAVS: Sad to say, any form of cardio…but I do appreciate the feeling I get once it is done!
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- The Coaching staff is definitely special! Each one of the coaches are unique in their own way. But all of them know how to motivate and correct in a positive attitude. The members of the gym are all great as well! From day one, everyone has been so welcoming and always glad to see each other. It is something you look forward to!
Anything else you wish to add?
- So my story started when my son, Caeden, was 12, and I was trying to get him motivated and stronger in a way that he would enjoy and not dislike. I also knew that I did not want to be the one to push him. I started looking around and found that Ben, who I have known for 25 plus years, lifted with and played sports with in high school, was involved in CrossFit. I talked to him on the phone and he told me he had just purchased a CrossFit gym and would love for us to come out. As they say, “The rest is history!” I love to see the results that both my son and I get from hard work. I also appreciate the positive atmosphere that surrounds us as we work on achieving our goals. Can’t say thanks enough.
A note from one of our coaches:
Talk about a stand out athlete that knows how to show up consistently, put in the work with minimal complaints, and encourage those around him often, especially his son Caeden. Deke is a laid back guy that always has a smile on his face and can hold down “the yard” like no other. Deke and his son Caeden have been a staple dynamic duo in our evening classes at Anazao. Deke will be the first one to lend you a spot on bench, fist bump you at the end of a workout, and volunteer when things need fixed at the gym. He sets a good example for not only the other athletes at the gym, but also his kids at home. We appreciate Deke’s hard work and dedication, and we have loved watching the major growth and improvements of both him and Caeden over the years at CrossFit Anazao!