"Coming to the gym has become one of the highlights of my day."
Tell us a little about yourself.
- I was born in the Philippines and grew in Bay Area California. I have 2 brothers and a sister and I’m second to the eldest. Growing up, I’ve always played sports and it has become a big part of my life. It has helped me stay out of trouble and was a way for me to bond with my siblings. I also started weightlifting earlier on in my life. My uncles were bodybuilders so they would let me tag-along and do a workout with them and that’s how my journey to fitness started. Outside of the gym, I usually like being in the outdoors whether it be out on a hike or mountain biking on mountain trails. For the most part, I spend majority of my time entertaining my two beautiful daughters as well as doing my fatherly duties. Art is also a significant part of my life, I love drawing and painting which inevitably led to my career in graphic design and eventually into marketing and advertising. Before joining CrossFit, I was your typical gym-goer. I go in and lift some weights and do a little bit of cardio. It wasn’t until I started running and soon after I started doing Tough Mudder/Spartan races that I was introduced to HIIT workout. That was big a change for me and there’s was no turning back. I was doing 1000-reps workout with a group of people in my local Gold’s gym 5-days a week and mostly body weights. A year later, the gym closed down and I was in the market for a new gym. My wife and sister-in-law have already been doing CrossFit for a few years and finally got me to try it. The rest is history and I’ve been doing CrossFit since and loving it.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- My goal is simply to stay fit and do CrossFit for as long as my body would allow.
What are your favorite movements? What are your least favorites?
- FAVS: My favorite movements are burpees, jump rope, push-ups, box jumps, pull-ups, cleans, back/front squats, and rowing!
- NOT FAVS: Snatches or overhead squat due to my lack of shoulder mobility.
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- For me it’s the whole Anazao community. The coaches, athletes, gym environment, workouts and the camaraderie. Coming to the gym has become one of the highlights of my day. I love interacting and talking to coaches and athletes. It has become my second home.
Anything else you wish to add?
- I love food! I can talk about food all day. I also can’t go a day without cracking a joke. Life is just too short to not laugh your head off.
A note from one of our coaches:
Edgar is all smiles and a joy to have in class! His signature enthusiasm for the warm-up always breaks the ice of every class he attends. He is always ready for a challenge – no matter what type of workout we have programmed for the day! Jokes, camaraderie, and smiles abound when Edgar is around. He always cheers on others in class with him, and makes sure to fist bump everyone when the workout is done. We are truly lucky to have Edgar, he is an integral part of our community at Anazao!