"I do CrossFit because I’m absolutely amazed at what my body is able to do! I love the environment, the structure, and the support that this gym provides"
Tell us a little about yourself!
- I have lived in Waynesboro for the last 18 years, married to my husband, Justin for 17 years and together we have 6 kids. He has 2 boys and a girl and I have 2 girls and a boy! The oldest is 27 and the youngest is 19. We are empty nesters and loving it!!
- I work as a dispatcher for Van Wyk, a trucking company based out of Sheldon, IA. I work out of the hub in Waynesboro. I work every weekend and holiday.
- Some of my hobbies are trying to grow stuff from fruits and veggies that you buy at the store. Like a pineapple, a lemon bush from a Meyer’s lemon, a dragon fruit, an avocado tree and other weird things. I also enjoy teaching myself how to sew and crochet. I do alot of crocheting in the evenings while watching TV. In high school, I did cheerleading for a year but other than that I’ve never worked out intentionally. I would break a sweat mopping the floors or pushing the lawn mower but that’s as far as my fitness level ever got!
What are your current goals and why do you do CrossFit?
- My goal for CrossFit is to be a little better everyday. I do CrossFit because I’m absolutely amazed at what my body is able to do! I’ve been doing CrossFit for 1.5 years now and I went from doing up/downs using a box to doing burpees. My very first goal was to get toes-to-bar and 8 months later I got it!! I went from seated pull-ups to being able to do several in a row a year later. I started because I wanted to lose weight now I just want to be stronger than last week or month! I’m amazed at the progress I make when I look at the history of the weight I’ve PR’d on the current move we are doing and my weight jumps up 20lbs or so since the last time. That’s an amazing “ pat on the back” feeling!! I love the environment, the structure, and the support that this gym provides and we are all like family! It’s the absolute best self care I’ve ever done for myself! I have a 6 month old granddaughter and I don’t want to be the soft and squishy Nana that makes the best cookies. I want to be “bad ass Nana that slings 50lb sacks!”
What are your favorite movments? How about your least favorite?
- I like box jumps, using dumbbells and kettle bells, power cleans, sit-ups, pull-ups, short runs, up downs, push-ups.
- I’m not very fond of wall balls, burpees and squat snatches! My body hurts for days after wall balls, no sane person likes burpees and squat snatches is a difficult move for me to master! I can do the snatch but the squat is the struggle.
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- The structure and support! I need this in order to be successful and that’s what I like the most about this gym. We start on time and we are out on time and each class has timed allotment for every piece of the workout. Every coach is very motivating and encouraging and helps me work through my struggles and walks me through how to be better.
Free write! Anything you wish to share?
- After our kids moved out I really didn’t know what to do with myself. I had all these plans of things I would do when the kids were gone but when that time finally came I just felt depressed and there was a lonely void that I filled by sleeping and eating. My sense of purpose seemed to be gone. I no longer had a reason to get up before 11 a.m. My sister goes to Harrisonburg CrossFit and, at that time, had been going for about a month. She told me how much she loved it and I need to check it out. The next day I scheduled an apt with Ben and the rest is history. I was hooked and now I have a reason to get up and out the door! I really do love this next chapter in my life!
A note from one of our coaches…
- We knew from day 1 that Heather had what it takes to maker her goals a reality! For her first official class, she walked into one of our Friday Night Light events for the CrossFit Open in March of 2022 and even with the large crowd of people in costume, doing movements she wasn’t too familiar with, she was ready to roll up her sleeves and get to work! Heather brings an amazing energy to every class she attends, even at 5:30am. Her drive to learn new movements and push out of her comfort zone sets a high standard at every class. You will find Heather always encouraging her gym family, even celebrating when they are done. And if you are looking for a partner for an epic workout, you definitely want her there to push you through.