After working out alone for so long, I needed a change. What I found was a great community!
Tell us a little about yourself.
- Originally from Staunton, VA. I graduated from Staunton High School (formally Robert E. Lee) and VA Tech. Currently work for Merck in Elkton, Va. I live in Fishersville, Va with my wife and two kids.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- My current goals are working towards my first muscle-up and on handstand walks. The gymnastics are very intriguing because they are relatively new concepts and things I have not had a lot of experience with yet. So I appreciate the challenge they bring and the mental focus it takes to become better at them. I do CrossFit because after years of working out by myself, I was ready for a change. I was ready to be pushed in different directions and get out of my comfort zone a little more. Trying new things have been a lot of fun!
What are your favorite movements to do in a workout? What are your least favorite?
- FAVS: I have really enjoyed deadlifts and back squats. Seeing the progress I have made in such a short time is exciting! I also enjoy running and rowing, cardio has always been fun to me.
- NOT FAVS: The assault bike and wall balls! Both of those “eat my lunch”!
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- Everybody has been incredibly nice. From day one, they have all been so friendly and encouraging. From the members to the coaches, there is a general sense that everyone wants everyone else to succeed. After attending a few classes, everyone was calling me by name and welcomed me with open arms. There is a great sense of community here. I appreciate all of the help and assistance from the coaching staff as I have just started, they have given me lots to work on!
A note from one of our coaches:
Joey came into the gym and from day one, he was a natural. In his on-boarding session (done one-on-one with a coach) we quickly found that we could expand upon what we normally cover because he was such a quick learner and he was so eager to learn as much as he could. Joey has always been so open to coaching because he wants to do things the right way and doesn’t want to skip anything that will make him better! We appreciate his work ethic and how positive and uplifting he is to his fellow members as well!