"Where else can you compete and the last person gets more cheers than the first person?"
Tell us a little about yourself.
- I am married to my lovely wife Antoinette. We have a grown, daughter and son in-law with 2 children that live in Maryland. We have lived in the valley for the past 11 years. I work for Lineage Logistics as a SME Sales Manager. I love to hunt and fish. Through high school and into my 20s I had been active in sports and not so much after that.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- My initial goal with CrossFit was to get in shape for a guided hunting trip… since starting I have changed direction; I want to be healthy and continue an active life style for as long as I can; still going on the Hunt. Anazao and the athletes sparked that drive to compete again and get better. I have learned that regardless of your progress/performance there is always the next level to chase and something to improve.
What are your favorite movements? What are your least favorites?
- FAVS: Deadlifts, squats and power cleans!
- NOT FAVS: Anything gymnastics…I have never considered myself a bodyweight ninja!
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- The coaching staff is great to work with…each of them bring their own way of supporting, motivating and encouraging. They genuinely care for your well being and performance. The athletes are welcoming, supportive and inclusive. Where else can you compete and the last person gets more cheers than the first person?
Anything else you wish to add?
- From day one everyone has been helpful and encouraging. Ben, the coaching staff and the athletes have made Anazao a great place and a welcoming community. I am happy I found it and appreciate the 5:30am athletes: thank you all for your support and encouragement.
A note from one of our coaches:
I don’t think I will ever forget the first meeting with Mike. He said “I hate exercise, I don’t understand why people do this to themselves!” And I thought to myself, “we will see how this goes!”. We have watched Mike go from attending class 3 days a week saying “y’all are nuts!” to now attending 5 days a week and asking “what can I do to get better?”. He embraces the challenges the coaches throw at him. He has gone from not being able to squat half way to now being an example of what below parallel look like! He is always ready to push through to finish a workout, of even help his fellow classmates push to finish theirs. Another bonus is that when class is done, he grabs a mop to clean the floors and what can I say…I am a big fan of that! Thank you Mike for kickstarting our day at 5:30am and for all you do to elevate our gym!