"I find myself doing way more than I thought I was capable or gave myself credit for"
Tell us a little about yourself.
- I was born and raised here in Staunton. I currently live in Stuart’s Draft, I also work in Stuart’s Draft at Little Debbie’s as a Process Operator making powdered donuts for almost 9 years. My hobbies include traveling, watching movies, listening to music, and spending time with my friends and family. I also enjoy doing adventurous things, such as going skydiving, or traveling across the country solo, zip-lining over some gators in Gatorland, anything for a new experience. Growing up I’ve never been into fitness. I tried a few times to become active but always fell off. It wasn’t until 2019 that I finally took things seriously and with the help of Keith, Pam, Heather, and a few other friends along the way, I made progress. Keith and Pam inspired me so much to train for a Spartan Race where I competed my first Trifecta in that same year. Since then have been pretty consistent with the gym life.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- Some of my current goals are getting better depth in any movements that require squats, and to keep breaking my personal records. I do CrossFit because I really wanted more strength training/lifting incorporated into my workouts and I have enjoyed it so much since I’ve joined
What are your favorite movements? What are your least favorites?
- FAVS: Getting the bar overhead, I don’t know why, but it makes me feel like a tough guy!
- NOT FAVS: Oddly enough, split jerks! But I am working on my footwork and stability!
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- What I find special about Anazao is the camaraderie, support, and drive from the coaches and fellow members. Everyone helps each other by pushing, encouraging or just even assisting when needed. They make you feel welcomed from day one as if you had been there for months. Everyone’s fitness journey is different, regardless of where you are they are always there to help. Whether you PR by half a pound or 30 pounds, or Maybe you are even just dialing in form , you have support from members and coaches. I just find that amazing!
Anything else you wish to add?
- Crossfit and Anazao has been such an amazing change for me, I find myself doing way more than I thought I was capable or gave myself credit for. I’m excited to see where I go from here!
A note from one of our coaches:
Derek started off as a drop in at our gym. He popped in a few times with the Ramseys, but wasn’t fully invested right off the bat. Then Bring a Friend Week came along; Derek came in consistently that week and was hooked. Now, you can find Derek hitting up our evening classes consistently every single week, and sometimes even throwing some CFA30 classes in the mix. He has made huge progress since he joined our gym just over a year ago, not only in his strength and his lifts, but also his cardio, his technique/form, and his mobility. Derek brings a light hearted, fun vibe to the gym. He’s supportive of those around him and always willing to crack a joke here and there. He’s also extremely receptive to coaching cues and suggestions, and constantly striving to be better. Derek is a prime example of what consistency and hard work can accomplish, and we are so proud to call him a dedicated member of CrossFit Anazao!