"I started CrossFit because I wanted to prioritize my health and well being. Improved cardio, energy, strength have led to a more active and happier Momma T."
Tell us a little about yourself.
- I grew up in Wisconsin where I played volleyball, basketball, and softball. In 1981 I became a Respiratory Therapist, and took a travel assignment to UVA in 1989. My first winter here was so mild that I never needed my winter gear. I decided to make Virginia my home. My husband, Ed, and I have 2 daughters, Robyn and Lisa. Over the years our family has rescued many German Shepherds and kittens. Toby, our GSD, is living his best life of walks and anything with his family. Our 2 cats, Chloe and Cherry, keep the family entertained. When I’m not out walking with Toby or just being outside, a good mystery novel is always nearby. I love cheering on my 2 favorite college teams, UVA and UW. Favorite sports are football, basketball, and volleyball.
What are your goals for CrossFit? Why do you do CrossFit?
- I started CrossFit because I wanted to prioritize my health and well being. After all, I’m not getting any younger. Improved cardio, energy, strength have led to a more active and happier Momma T. These have also given me a closet of smaller clothes and fun outings with family and friends. Annual visits to my doctor show improved lab results and less medications. Another great thing about CrossFit is that it translates into everyday life. I’m now able to stand on my toes to reach items on the top shelf. I used to have to ask for help because I wasn’t able to do this or even climb onto a chair. I can carry laundry up the stairs without using the steps to walk the basket up. Functional Fitness is where it’s at! CrossFit is always different from one day to the next, with workouts that can be adapted to all abilities and skills. I plan to continue with CrossFit as long as I’m able so I can be the best version of me.
What are your favorite movements? What are your least favorites?
- FAVS: My favorite movements are some unique ones to the daily workouts-sled pulls, tire flips, battle ropes because they are fun. Deadlifts because it’s the movement I’m able to move the most weight. Power cleans, Thrusters, and The Bike are good because I always feel stronger. It’s like I’ve worked my entire body. Wall walks are enjoyable because I’m getting better at them. Box step ups is where it’s at. Not the jumping ones, but even my jumping is improving. Step up, step down. I got this!
- NOT FAVS: Snatches might be my least favorite because it takes me so long to warm everything up to start moving some real weight. But once I do get to moving the weight, it’s kind of awesome.
What do you think is special about CrossFit Anazao?
- The people. The family atmosphere. You are always welcomed when you walk in the door. The coaches come prepared to teach and lead the class through safe movements. They anticipate options needed for every athlete because we all have different skills and abilities. Trust the Coaches. Trust the Process. Words to live by. The athletes are supportive and hard working. Everyone encourages each other. I am always inspired by each and every athlete.
A note from one of our coaches:
Where do you start with Momma T?! I am sure you can say this about any athlete, but she truly walks into every class with a smile on her face and she is ALWAYS concerned with how YOU are doing. It is never about her, it is about how can she brighten someone else’s day. She is the first to jump up from a tough workout to congratulate her fellow athletes in class and will go to each person to say “Great job!”. She leads by example, getting in her stretches and extra work to make sure she is plenty warm or properly cooled down. She represents everything we want from our athletes and we are so proud to have her at Anazao.